Okay, so I am a bit hooked on my new Uuni Pro pizza oven. I have now had two pizza evenings with my family. My younger sister, Gillian, was so taken by the pizzas that she asked me to give her my pizza dough and tomato sauce recipes. As I was writing them up for her, I thought I would share them with you too. Happy pizza making!
Pizza Dough (makes 3-4 decent sized, thin based pizzas)
- 7 g sachet fast-action yeast
- 300 ml tepid water
- 500 g strong white flour (Italian 00 is best)
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and dried yeast with the olive oil and water and form the mixture into a ball.
- Knead the dough on a floured work surface for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of kneading the dough should be springy. Form the kneaded dough into a ball; flour the top; place in a bowl and cover with oiled clingfilm. Leave to rise in a warm place.
- After at least 30 minutes, but ideally when doubled in size, your dough is ready.
- Divide the dough into 3-4 pieces and then roll them into round discs (pizza bases).
- Top with toppings of your choice and cook in domestic oven/pizza oven as required. It is best to place pizzas directly onto a hot baking sheet or pizza stone within a preheated oven.
- 2 x 400 g tinned tomatoes (blended)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Large pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 1 onion – quartered.
- Over a medium heat, cook the garlic in the olive oil.
- Add the blended tomatoes when the garlic starts to sizzle. Don’t allow the garlic to brown.
- Add the quartered onion and basil. Season (to taste) with the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove the onion and the basil and allow to cool to room temperature before using.
Source: Uuni Pro