As promised, here is my recipe for the vegan ginger cake. This recipe makes 2, 900g loaves. Happy baking!
- 450g self-raising flour
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tbsp ground ginger
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp ground mixed spice
- 210g Trex or 230g dairy free butter
- 230g black treacle
- 230g golden syrup
- 230g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 550ml oat milk
- 4 tbsp water, 4 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp vegetable oil mixed together as the egg substitute.
- 2 x 900g loaf tins greased with butter and lined with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the oven at 170 degrees Celsius. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice together in a bowl.
- Add the Trex or dairy free butter and rub into the flour mix.
- Place the treacle and golden syrup into a small pan and warm gently until melted and runny but not hot. Set aside until lukewarm.
- Put the sugar and oat milk into another pan and heat gently, stirring well to dissolve the sugar. Leave to cool until lukewarm.
- Whisk the oat milk into the flour mixture, quickly followed by the treacle mixture and the egg substitute, to make a smooth thick batter, the consistency of double cream.
- Put the mixture into the prepared tins.
- Bake the gingerbread in the heated oven for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Set the tin on a wire rack and leave the gingerbread to cool completely before turning out.
- Store in an air tight container.