A couple or so week’s ago I was contacted by a potential customer who had seen my profile on Instagram. Within a couple of days I had met with the potential customer, put together a price list, shopped for ingredients and completed my first bake.
The request was relatively straight forward, a batch of brownies and a batch of flapjacks. Nothing that I hadn’t done before. However, most of my brownie and flapjack baking was done when I was at Lynwood & Co. and as you will know if you have eaten at Lynwood & Co, both their flapjacks and brownies are exceedingly good. Despite being exceedingly good and despite being familiar with their recipes, it would not have been right to use these recipes when baking for a potential customer.
With about 24 hours in which to research, cook and deliver the bake, I did not have time to develop my own recipes from scratch. So armed with an array of my cookbooks around me on my bed, as well as the Internet to hand, I scoured all the recipes I could to find a suitable flapjack and brownie. I settled on the one flapjack recipe that I had baked in the last couple of years (other than the Lynwood & Co recipe of course) and a chocolate fudge brownie.
The bakes were relatively straight forward, especially the flapjacks. The chocolate fudge brownies were a little more complicated with a few more steps, including hand beating the eggs and sugar into a light, thick and smooth mixture with no sugar granules and melting the chocolate and butter in a Bain-Marie, stirring regularly and preventing the chocolate from getting too hot (simmering water which does not come into contact with the bottom of the bowl in which the chocolate and butter are being melted).
With an order being placed for 15 brownies and 15 flapjacks, I cut the respective bakes into 15 pieces and delivered them to the potential customer. As there were no pieces to spare, except for a few brownie crumbs, I was unable to taste my bakes before they were dispatched.
This is not how I would normally operate. My usual modus operandi is to allow potential customers to ‘try before they buy’ or at least test the bakes before I deliver them. However this time, there was no time.
Although the brownies went down well, the flapjacks needed to be more gooey and the size of the bakes were not quite right for the price that the customer wanted to charge for them. Taking on board the feedback and rising to the challenge, I tweaked the original flapjack recipe. I upped the quantity of ingredients as a whole to make larger flapjacks and tripled the amount of syrup to make them more gooey. I also tried a second flapjack recipe, which professed to be the ‘best ever flapjack’. Cutting both flapjacks into larger portions and tasting both flapjacks I headed off to drop off my bakes.
A day later, I received the news that ‘taste-testers’ thought that both flapjacks were delicious but that they preferred the new recipe. I have to confess that I had initially preferred the adapted original recipe, albeit that I thought it could do with a bit more syrup. However, when I tried the flapjacks the following day, it was definitely the new recipe that I preferred.
And with that, I now have a brownie and flapjack recipe under my belt and hopefully a happy customer who I can provide regular bakes to. As they say, all is well that ends well.